Grown-ups have a little secret—they love tater-tots as much as kids do!
Here’s a wonderfully tasty recipe reminiscent of your childhood memories (or possibly yesterday, depending on your most recent tater-tot experience) using the magical cauliflower and your oven, instead of potatoes and a frying pan full of oil. “Ricing” the cauliflower is the how we get there! Read on…
Baked Vegan Cauliflower Tots
–Ellen Francis, Vegan American Princess
- 1 large cauliflower (equal to 4 cups of riced cauliflower)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 medium minced onion
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoon fresh or dried chopped parsley
- 2 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, “nooch”
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
1. Break the cauliflower into florets and in small batches put into a food processor. Pulse until the consistency of rice. But don’t over process! Set aside.
2. Make the egg replacer by mixing the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl until it is the consistency of oatmeal. This will bind the tots together. Add small amounts of water if it seems too thick. Place int he refrigerator.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat the cup of water on high.
4. Add the cauliflower to to sauté pan.
5. Mince the onion in the food processor and add to the cauliflower. Mix well so that the onion is evenly distributed.
6. Add the minced garlic to the mixture and stir in.
7. Stir frequently and continue to cook until the moisture is evaporated. It should be about 10 minutes.
8. Add the parsley, basil, the nutritional yeast, a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Stir together.
9. Remove the mixture from the stove and put into a large bowl.
10. Take the flaxseed mixture from the refrigerator and stir into the mixture evenly.
11. Let the mixture cool a bit so that it’s not too hot to handle–about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place the a cookie sheet in the oven to heat up along with the oven.
12. After about 5 minutes, pull out the cookie sheet and place on a surface that can withstand the heat, and spray with cooking spray.
13. With a tablespoon or soup spoon, scoop out a spoonful from the mixture and roll into a ball and place on the cookie sheet. The balls should sat together nicely. Line them up close together on the cookie sheet.
14. Bake for about 30 minutes. They should be golden and firm.
15 Serve with ketchup, mustard, hot sauce to vegan sour cream.
We have the utmost admiration for the cauliflower at Vegan American Princess because it’s amazing how versatile they can be. If you’re one of those unenlightened people that think cauliflower is boring, then think again. You’re about to be schooled!
Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets. Really whatever size you’d like them to be.
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup water or soy milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup buffalo sauce (or 2 cups if you like them very saucy)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease a pan
- Mix water or milk with flour, cornstarch and garlic powder.
- Once well combined, cover cauliflower with the mixture. A good method would be to just dunk the cauliflower right into it so that they are evenly coated. Don’t make the coating too thick.
- Bake cauliflower for about 15 minutes, until the coating has goldened a bit.
- Cover the cauliflower with buffalo sauce. Again, dunking would be a good method.
- Bake for an additional 5-8 minutes.
Get a Nutritional Boost from Cauliflower
- Rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K and vitamin B and folate
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Rich source of minerals zinc, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, boron and selenium
- Builds healthy immune system
- Contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatories and carotenoids
- Promotes heart health
- Rich source of calcium for bones and teeth and transmission
- Rich in fiber
- Cruciferous vegetables reduce risk of cancer of the lungs, breasts and bladder
- Helps inflammation that causes rheumatoid arthritis
- Promotes weight loss, low in calories (30 in 1 cup) and non-carbohydrate
- Aids liver in detoxifying
There’s so much more…..
- Ina Garten’s Crusty Fennel Casserole, Dr. Oz’s Fennel Tea & Health Benefits of Fennel
- Yams & Fennel…A Winning Combination
- Ina Garten’s Mushroom Lasagna Veganized!!
- Menopause: Certain Foods May Help Symptoms
- There’s a Tea for That:19 Brews for What Ails You!
- All Natural Soy Royal Tea Candles
- ZAPPOS Surprising and Delightful Vegan Department
- 9 Fabulous Shopportunities to Save Veganly on Holiday Sales
- 18 UGG Alternatives: All Price Points, All Beautiful
- Hot Vegan Clothing All Over Nordstrom Anniversary Catalogue
- Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts from Chloe’s Kitchen
- My Dream Girls for a Vegan Reality TV Show
- Recap of Chef Chloe’s Appearance on the TODAY Show
- Last Minute Ideas for a Vegan Valentine’s Day
- My Go-To Vegan Cookbooks
- Vegan American Princess Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Go Blue Blueberry & Lemon Cupcakes: Celebrate Your Team Spirit
- Yummy Vegan Valentines Day Treats:
- Frosted Strawberry Cupcakes & Carly and Tyler’s Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Amazing Easy No-Bake Watermelon Cake
- 4 Berry Chia Pudding: Guilt-Free and Delicious
VEGAN FASHION & BEAUTY!!
- 18 UGG Boot Alternatives: Many Great Styles and Price Levels
- The Truth About UGG Boots
- Multitask with Argan Oil and 3 Great Vegan Beauty Products!
- Endless Summer: 9 Sunless Vegan Products to Stay Bronze This Autumn
- Supergoop! Sunscreen…Non-Toxic and Cruelty-Free!
- Fight Off Wrinkles with Dark Leafy Greens and with Recipes
- Five Vegan Beauty Products to Love
- Tarte Cosmetics: Vegan!
- Shop Beautifully and Save with Vegan American Princess
- Lush…the Fun Farmers Market of Beauty Products
- Vegan Beauty Products: Tried and True
- Vegan American Princess Beauty Product Review
- VAP Beauty Review Urban Decay Naked Cosmetics
- 15 DIY Ways to Use Shea Butter and Shea Butter Products I Love
- Coconut Beauty Products I Love and DIY Ways to Use Coconut Oil
- Vegan Glamour Girls
- Peta’s Animal Ingredient List