I love pasta, as most of us do, and recently, I have been delighted to discover “pastas” made of surprising ingredients, not any of them being wheat. Who knew that so many other foods could be conjured up as an alternate, albeit delicious, form of pasta. It almost seems like an art form to be able to create a yummy dish that looks like pasta but has no grain whatsoever and is nutrient dense. Not to mention gluten-free too and perfect Passover recipe, as well!
Introducing the carrot as pasta!! If I could make a hot dog out of a carrot, (marinated and nestled in a bun with toppings), then how hard could it be to create pasta from this beautifullye colored vegetable? Let’s be clear: I am not referring to carrot-flavored or carrot-colored wheat pasta! I’m so excited to share great recipe for pasta using just a bag of carrots and a vegetable peeler…amazing! You don’t even need any fancy equipment!
Ellen Francis, Vegan American Princess
- 1 large bag of about 10 full-sized carrots, any and all colors
- vegetable peeler
- 1. Wash all your carrots
- 2. Peel off the dirty outside layer of each carrot and trim off the greens and top. (Keep the greens to use in a salad or store fry)
- 3. Basically, you are now going to use the peeler to run down each carrot fully lengthwise creating as many long strips or ribbons as possible. I like to lay each carrot down on a wooden cutting board and run the peeler down the length of the carrot, turning as I go to use up as much of the carrot as possible. The width of the ribbons isn’t important; some might be wider than others–it’s all good! Transfer strips into a bowl as they accumulate.
- 4. So now that you have a bowl full of carrot strips, cooking them is really easy. For simple carrot pasta, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and toss in the carrot ribbons, coating with oil. Sprinkle with a dash of salt. Cook on medium high, tossing the ribbons until limp but not falling apart for about 5 minutes.
Fun Sauces and Variations
- 1. Different Colored Carrots: Orange might be the new black but adding different colored carrots adds an exotic look to your dish. At markets, you can find white, yellow and purple carrots. In order to show off these amazing colors, it’s best to stick with a sauce that has no color that interferes with your glorious carrots.
- 2. Lemon and Garlic: When tossing your carrots in the skillet, adding a spray of fresh lemon juice, some minced or powdered garlic and parsley gives it a real fresh-as-spring pasta taste.
- 3. Pesto Sauce: Vegan pesto sauce is so easy to make and tastes totally authentic. Adding it to the orange carrot pasta is a tasty way to go. Our Vegan American Princess Pesto Sauce can be found on this link: http://veganamericanprincess.com/easy-vegan-pesto-sauce-it-goes-on-everything/
- 4. Peanut Sauce: An asian peanut sauce really complements carrot pasta creating a total veggie taste-blast experience! This can be used hot or cold…Mix together: 3 Tbs peanut butter, 1 Tbp minced ginger, 1 Tbs maple syrup, 1/2 Tbs soy sauce, 1 Tbs lemon juice, 1 Tbs rice vinegar, 1 Tbs minced garlic. Add to hot, cooked carrot ribbons or after they have cooled off. A delicious dish as a main course, appetizer or side.
- 5. Broccolini and Sun-dried Tomatoes: a fabulously tasty way to zoom up the flavor of carrot pasta
- 6. Salad Topper: After the carrot pasta is cooked, it can be chilled and eaten as a salad or to top a leafy green salad
- More Vegan Recipes and Blogs:
- Making a Hot Dog from a Carrot!
- Yams & Fennel…A Winning Combination
- Ina Garten’s Mushroom Lasagna Veganized!!
- Menopause: Certain Foods May Help Symptoms
- There’s a Tea for That:19 Brews for What Ails You!
- All Natural Soy Royal Tea Candles
- ZAPPOS Surprising and Delightful Vegan Department
- 9 Fabulous Shopportunities to Save Veganly on Holiday Sales
- 18 UGG Alternatives: All Price Points, All Beautiful
- Hot Vegan Clothing All Over Nordstrom Anniversary Catalogue
- Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts from Chloe’s Kitchen
- My Dream Girls for a Vegan Reality TV Show
- Recap of Chef Chloe’s Appearance on the TODAY Show
- Last Minute Ideas for a Vegan Valentine’s Day
- My Go-To Vegan Cookbooks
- Vegan American Princess Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Go Blue Blueberry & Lemon Cupcakes: Celebrate Your Team Spirit
- Yummy Vegan Valentines Day Treats:
- Frosted Strawberry Cupcakes & Carly and Tyler’s Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Amazing Easy No-Bake Watermelon Cake
- 4 Berry Chia Pudding: Guilt-Free and Delicious
Some Passover Related Blogs:
- Click Here for more about Mayim Bialik
- Click Here for the New York Times article, A Vegan Passover
- Click Here for Vegan Matzoh Ball Soup Blog Post
- Click Here for More about Cauliflower Steaks Topped with Savory Quinoa & Caramelized Onions
- Click Here for Dark, Leafy Greens Recipes
- Click Here for Quinoa Risotto with Arugula and Shiitake Mushrooms
- Click Here for Baked Goldie Rings with Pine Nuts and Garlic
- Click Here for Recipes for a Vegan Rosh Hashana
- Click Here for a Yom Kippur Break Fast Menu
- Click Here for PETA’s Vegan Passover Recipes