…plus how to make a cupcake into a whoopie pie easily! But first….
What makes a cupcake completely irresistible?
a) its appearance is absolutely scrumptious
b) you’ve convinced yourself that its ok to eat more than 1
c) it’s just sweet enough but does not go overboard
d) the is frosting so good, you wish each bite could have some frosting on it
e) it tastes so great that you can’t believe its vegan
f) it makes you happy just looking at it
g) all of the above!
Chloe Coscarelli, winner of the Food Network’s Cupcake Wars, is quite an aficionado of all things in the competitive world of this little culinary art form–the cupcake. I received the cookbook, Chloe’s Vegan Desserts, as a delightful birthday present from my daughter, who picked out the recipe for Cinnamon Mocha Cupcakes and executed it in her own creative way, along with her co-chef.
The recipe is basically the same but she switched up the way it’s frosted and decorated. They came out looking and tasting fabulous and would pass the above cupcake quiz with flying frosting colors! The original cupcake recipe is frosted on top, but in order to maximize the use of this freaking delicious frosting, Carly and Tyler cut the cupcakes in half crosswise and filled the gap with frosting too, creating the “whoopee Pie Effect!” Oh my!
Cinnamon Mocha Whoopie Pie Cupcakes
inspired by Chloe’s Vegan Desserts by Chloe Coscarelli
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoon white or apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- Ground cinnamon, for serving
- chocolate bar, broken into chunks for garnish
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla and espresso power.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combines. Do not overmix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full with batter. If there’s batter left over, divide evenly into each cupcake liner.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out dry with a few crumbs clinging to lit
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat shortening until smooth.
- With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat to incorporate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of espresso liquid at a time, as needed, until reaches desired frosting consistency and espresso flavor.
- Increase sped to high and beat for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
To assemble the cupcakes, as in photo:
- When the cupcakes are fully cooled, carefully unpeel the cupcake liners, removing them completely.
- With a sharp knife, cut each cupcake in half.
- Fill a ziploc or plastic bag with frosting.
- Snip off a small triangle from one of the bottom corners of the bag.
- Squirt some frosting on the bottom half of each cupcake and spread that layer. Then carefully, place the top half back on each one.
- Squirt some frosting on the top of each cupcake in a decorative fashion. Place a chunk of chocolate on top as a garnish.
- For more VAP posts about Chloe Coscarelli and Delicious Desserts:
- Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts from Chloe’s Kitchen
- My Dream Girls for a Vegan Reality TV Show
- Recap of Chef Chloe’s Appearance on the TODAY Show
- Last Minute Ideas for a Vegan Valentine’s Day
- My Go-To Vegan Cookbooks
- Vegan American Princess Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Go Blue Blueberry & Lemon Cupcakes: Celebrate Your Team Spirit
- Yummy Vegan Valentines Day Treats:
- Frosted Strawberry Cupcakes & Carly and Tyler’s Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Amazing Easy No-Bake Watermelon Cake
- 4 Berry Chia Pudding: Guilt-Free and Delicious