Easy & Hearty Vegan Bolognese Sauce (Italian “Meat” Sauce)
Everyone seems to love a good, hearty pasta sauce and vegans are no exception. This one really fits the bill and will make believers out of hungry non-believers. Leave all that greasy meat at the supermarket and try this for clean, healthy eating! You certainly won’t hear the following….
“It won’t be filling enough!”
“It can’t be satisfying!”
“It isn’t hearty like the real thing!”
—Lament of the Unenlightened Carnivore
These are the mantras of the non-believers! Show them that eating vegan can be filling, satisfying and hearty! And even more important, healthy and compassionate! The only thing that you’ll miss in this pasta dish is the cholesterol-laden grease from the absent pork and ground beef. Honestly, you don’t even have to tell your guests or family that this is vegan—they may not even notice the difference. I served it to my resident skeptics and they loved it. Pour it on the pasta of your choice and enjoy!
8 oz. sliced white or baby bella mushrooms
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp olive oil (I like flavored oils like basil or truffle)
1 package vegan sausages by Field Roast
1 package vegan ground “beef” by Lite Life Smart Ground Original
3 tsp minced garlic
42 oz. canned diced tomatoes (28 oz. can + 14 oz. can)
1 tsp salt (pepper to taste)
juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1) Take the casing off the sausages carefully and brown all the sausages in a small saute pan, which is lightly oiled, on medium heat, turning frequently until cooked according to instructions (about 5-7 minutes). Set aside to add in later.
- 2) In a different large sauce pan, add olive oil, put in mushrooms, sprinkle on soy sauce. Heat until golden brown on medium heat.
- 3) Add the ground “beef” and brown for 3-5 minutes.
- 4) Add all the diced tomatoes from the cans with the sauce. Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste and lemon juice.
- 5) Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15-20 minutes. If it simmers for longer, like up to an hour, the flavors will blend nicely but check to make sure that it remains liquid.
- 6) Slice the sausages in 1 inch chunks and gently toss into the sauce before serving.
- 7) Serve on pasta, rice, zucchini noodles—get creative!