I have been taking note of all the wonderful holiday recipes floating around the Web, including recipes for vegan mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and vegan pumpkin pie; however, I haven’t noticed the easiest recipe of them all which is a standard for my family’s holiday meal…orzo with mushrooms and onions! This side dish is usually enjoyed by everyone and is simple to prepare.
The recipe merely includes one box or bag of orzo (you could even opt for whole wheat orzo), 2 boxes of mushrooms, one white onion, two packets of french onion dip mix (I use the Vegetarian Simply Organic Brand) and vegetable oil, as needed.
Preparation of this dish involves a small amount of chopping and sauteeing of the mushrooms and onion, followed by some mixing and baking for a short amount of time.
Here is the simple, no-fail recipe…
ORZO WITH MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS
Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish
1 box orzo (you could opt for whole wheat orzo)
2 boxes mushrooms
1 white onion
2 packets of french onion dip mix (I use the Vegetarian “Simply Organic” brand)
olive or canola oil, as needed
1. Prepare orzo according to directions on the package
2. Slice onion and mushrooms
3. Saute onion and mushrooms in olive or canola oil
4. Place the sauteed onion and mushrooms in a large mixing bowl with the cooked orzo, the french onion dip mix, and mix everything together
5. Place the contents of the bowl into a large baking dish (about 9 x 12) and bake at 325-350 degrees F. for 1/2 hour.
Note: This dish could be prepared one day in advance and reheated for your holiday meal.