Trader Joe’s is a 20 minute ride from my home, so I don’t shop there often. Yesterday, I just happened to be in the neighborhood of Trader Joe’s so I decided to stop in. I forgot how much I liked this quirky little market. They have so many specialty items and many are clearly marked “vegan.” Every time I shop there, I find myself leaving with the same items. Yesterday, they did not have my favorite “microgreens” which I love to put on salads and in wraps, but here are a few of the other things I bought…
1. Trader Joe’s Brand Soy Chorizo…This is the absolute tastiest faux meat I have ever tasted. Just remove the casing, break into crumbles and heat on the stove top. I love to use it in the Trader Joe’s brand Organic Taco Shells with diced tomatoes, onions, shredded lettuce, vegan “sour cream” and Daiya shredded cheddar cheese for a very tasty taco.
2. Trader Joe’s Brand Taco Shells…These taco shells are made with organic stoneground yellow corn. The box is marked “vegan.” I love to fill them with the sauteed soy chorizo and other “veggie” items as listed above.
3. Fully Cooked Falafel…These ready made frozen falafels are great in a pinch. You can heat them up, cut them into smaller pieces and serve them over a salad or place them in a toasty pita pocket with hummus or tahini and lettuce shreds.
4. Reduced Carb Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas…These tortillas are great for preparing a quick meal or snack. You can fill them with anything you desire including the soy chorizo, falafel, hummus, avocado or any other combination of vegetables.
5. Trader Joe’s “Healthy 8 Chopped Veggie Mix” (see photo below)…Although I usually try to stick with organic vegetables, sometimes it is easier to buy pre-chopped veggie mixes. This is a great one for salads, wraps, sautés or any other time you want a quick assortment of veggies.
6. Trader Joe’s Southern Greens Blend (see photo below)…As previously stated, I usually like to buy organic greens but when I’m too tired or lazy to chop, these ready to cook greens are great. They are a combination of mustard, turnip, collards and spinach. I would saute them in vegetable broth with white beans and garlic for a very quick meal.
7. Trader Joe’s “Soyaki”…This is a great marinade for veggies, tofu or tempeh. I would use it in stir-fries too!
8. Just Mango Slices (Unsulfured and Unsweetened)…This is one of my favorite snacks! It is high in Vitamins A & C and Iron.
9. “Panda” Soft Black Licorice…Another easy snack which satisfies my sweet tooth. The box is marked with a “V” for “vegan.”
10. Trader Joe’s Brand Organic Stevia Extract…I like Stevia in my tea and smoothies. The Trader Joe’s brand comes with a cute, little scoop.
11. Vintage Root Beer…I usually don’t keep sodas in my home; but yesterday was Memorial Day and my younger son likes root beer so I thought it would be a nice treat. My son liked the vintage inspired bottles.
All in all, I think Trader Joe’s is a great place to buy quick vegan foods. It’s fun to shop there too!!! They have raffles for people who shop there with their own shopping bags. I’m still waiting to hear if I won a gift card!!!