I know you’re all anxiously awaiting the results of the crazy carrot hotdog experiment and I’d like to report that it was a total success! Woo-hoo–a vegan hot dog completely different and completely delicious!
First, I’ll tell you what a vegan carrot hot dog is not: this is not a recipe where you take lot of vegetables, cook them and somehow shape them into a hot-dog shape and throw it on the grill and call it a hot dog. It is also nothing like the many packaged vegan dogs that seem to be multiplying on the supermarket shelves.
Carrot Dogs are pretty damn wonderful! There really aren’t many veggies that you would say are shaped like a hot dog and the carrot might actually be the only one. Using 4 nice-sized carrots, trimmed and peeled, it doesn’t get much easier than this. Boiling them for about 10 minutes and marinating in the easily mixed hot dog flavor-packed recipe for 24 hours, will give you a hot-dog shaped, hot dog colored (kind of) and hot dog tasting carrot-dog!
For all of you that have had “real” hot dogs, think about what you like about them (and what you don’t like about them!). It’s the flavoring that’s put into the hot dog, the grilling and what you put on top of it that is really what it’s all about.This recipe gets all of that right and satisfied my hot dog-loving group. It was filling too! And, really, the best part–you don’t have to stop at one! It’s just a carrot, a real, whole, unprocessed vegetable–healthy and packed with fantastic nutrients–eat as many as you want without all kinds of guilt!
Also, it would be fun to get kids involved in this recipe–I can imagine them getting a kick out of helping with this recipe and flipping over the bag the carrots are marinating in— plus much more nutrition! Kids would definitely like little mini carrot dogs! There’s so much that can be done with this recipe!
Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs
This recipe proves that a healthy whole carrot can miraculously transform into a delicious vegan hot dog!
- 4 carrots, both ends trimmed off and peeled (you can measure the length to exceed a hot dog bun length by an inch on both sides, if you want)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- 4 dashes of liquid smoke
- 2 Tbs onion powder
- 1. In a medium pot that will fit 4 carrots, bring enough water to cover them well to a boil.
- 2. Place carrots in the pot and lower to medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 3. They should NOT be allowed to get soft and mushy, but a toothpick or fork should go in easily.
- 4. While boiling the carrots, mix all the other ingredients in a large enough ziploc bag or container.
- 5. Allow the carrots to cool.
- 6. Put the carrots in the container with marinade and let sit for 24 hours, making sure they are covered in the liquid.
- 7. After the 24 hours, they are ready to be grilled or pan fried. Allow to brown evenly on all sides. Pop them in vegan hot dog buns with all your favorite toppings!
Enjoy these wondrous hot dogs and try serving them to your omnivorous friends! One thing everyone knows,”real” hot dogs are full of all the bad stuff, so they may thank you for opening their minds to a super healthy alternative. Just make sure you marinate plenty of carrots overnight for 24 hours because one is definitely not enough!
For more great Vegan American Princess articles:
- Sweet Mini Peppers: How to Marinate, Grill and Roast to Deliciousness
- Super Quinoa Burger: Burgers for Everyone on the Planet
- Cauliflower Steaks Topped with Savory Quinoa and Garnished with Caramelized Onions
- Taste Test of 3 Gardein Entrees plus Recipe for Ellen’s Easy BBQ Sauce
- Tasty Bean Burgers
- Leaning Into Veganism: Malibu Burger on a Coco-Lite PopCake Raft
- Macrobiotic, Raw or Just Plain Ol’ Vegan?
- Interview With Dr. Brian Clement of Hippocrates Health Institute
- Joyce Chen Spiral Slicer And Zucchini Pasta Two Ways
- Amazing Alternatives to White Pasta
- Ina Garten’s Crusty Fennel Casserole, Dr. Oz’s Fennel Tea & Health Benefits of Fennel
- Yams & Fennel…A Winning Combination
- Ina Garten’s Mushroom Lasagna Veganized!!
- Menopause: Certain Foods May Help Symptoms
- There’s a Tea for That:19 Brews for What Ails You!
- All Natural Soy Royal Tea Candles
- ZAPPOS Surprising and Delightful Vegan Department
- 18 UGG Alternatives: All Price Points, All Beautiful
- Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts from Chloe’s Kitchen
- My Dream Girls for a Vegan Reality TV Show
- Recap of Chef Chloe’s Appearance on the TODAY Show
- Last Minute Ideas for a Vegan Valentine’s Day
- My Go-To Vegan Cookbooks
- Vegan American Princess Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Go Blue Blueberry & Lemon Cupcakes: Celebrate Your Team Spirit
- Yummy Vegan Valentines Day Treats
- Frosted Strawberry Cupcakes & Carly and Tyler’s Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Amazing Easy No-Bake Watermelon Cake
- 4 Berry Chia Pudding: Guilt-Free and Delicious
- Is Costco Going Vegan?
- New Vegan Costco Products
- Buying Veggies In Bulk at Costco and 8 Recipes to Use Them All!
- 20 Ways to Go Plant-Based for Less $
- Freeze Dried Fruit: The Astronauts Are Right!
- Gardenburger’s Malibu Vegan Burger on a Coco Lite!
- Fabulous Stuffed Red Pepper Recipe
- Garden Holiday Roast
- Easy & Delicious: Gardein Chick’n Piccata
- Test Test of 3 Gardein Entrees plus Ellen’s Quick & Easy BBQ Sauce
- Great Vegan Frozen Foods
- Go Bananas with Yonanas!
- Carrageenan: Why Is It in My Almond Milk and DIY Moo-Less Milks