Tortilla Soup “vegan-style” is just as easy and delicious as its carnivorous alter-ego. You won’t be missing anything in this recipe—it’s loaded with Mexican flavor and hearty vegetables. This soup is filling enough where you won’t feel stuffed, just satisfied—a light meal in itself! It’s adapted from the wonderful “Oh She Glows” website, which inspires us to get that glow from the inside out!
Everyone gobbles up this soup!
Even though it’s called Tortilla Soup, it’s not really the tortillas that make it special (even though it’s fun and easy to make your own)—it’s the soup! I made a few changes to suit my taste but the essence is there! It’s packed with healthy veggies and kids will love it!!
VEGAN MEXICAN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 3 tbs minced garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup frozen kale or spinach
- 1 ear frozen corn
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- One 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- salt & pepper & crushed red chili pepper, to taste
- Fresh lime juice, to garnish on top
- Non-Dairy Cheese (I use Daiya cheese), for sprinkling
- Chopped avocado, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Tortilla sticks (flour tortillas, olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, to taste)
- 1. In a large pot over medium to low heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Preheat oven on medium broil setting.
- 2. Meanwhile, chop the peppers & green onion.
- 3. Add the peppers & corn into the pot and sauté for another 5-10 minutes.
- 4. Add in the crushed tomatoes, cumin, broth, and chia seeds. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
- 5. Stir in drained and rinsed beans just before serving.
- 6. Slice flour tortillas into 2 inch strips. Place in a small bowl and drizzle with olive oil to coat. Sprinkle on garlic powder and chili powder (to taste) and mix well with hands. Place on a lined baking sheet and broil for up to 3 minutes on medium. Watch very carefully. When golden, remove from oven.
- 7. After the soup simmers, ladle into bowls, and top with chopped avocado, fresh lime juice, cheese, green onion, and tortilla strips. Serve immediately.